Monday 8/28. Driving on the wrong side.

Sherri and I landed at Heathrow right on time. I slept 45 minutes on the plane. Better than nothing. The lines at immigration were short and we went right through. We then caught a shuttle to pickup our rental car. We upgraded to a automatic transmission and am very thankful we did. Even though I am a very seasoned with a manual transmission, it was one less distraction I needed. I made two wrong turns leaving the airport. In my defense, I knew they were wrong well before they were made. I don't like to dive or change lanes at last minute so I make a few wrong turns from time to time even in the US. I am adapting quickly to the roads and style of driving here in the UK. I only strayed into the right land once which Sherri was quick to question. To her credit, only questioning, not screaming, your in the wrong lane. After some sleep, I am sure I will melt in with the other drivers. 

One funny story. Instead of cutting off another motorist, I slowed a bit to let them into the passing lane. I could tell by the stunned thank you wave this isn't done much in these parts. 

I have also noticed the absence of speed limit signs. When we first merged onto our first divided highway, I drove 60mph until I saw a posted speed limit. Miles went by and I was trying to judge speed limit by pacing traffic. At that time I judged somewhere between 50mph and 90mph. 

We drove to Highclere Castle. This is where Downton Abbey was filmed. For some reason, I had it my head that Sherri and I would be the only one buying a ticket and exploring the grounds and gardens. I was wrong, today is a bank holiday and they were very busy. 

We found one of their tea rooms and had a cold sandwich and slice of cake. Walked a bit then got in line to visit the interior. Sherri was dead on her feet and my feet were numb. We decided to return Tuesday morning to tour the interior. 

Our first night is at a Double Tree by Hilton just off the M4. The bed is hard but I didn't really notice during my 4 hours of sleep. It's 4:30 in the afternoon and Sherri is still sleeping. I slipped out of the room to catch up on emails, phone messages and write this blogg. The hotel serves food all day. I ordered a fish sandwich and fries. Good stuff.


Comments