Monday 9/4 Exeter
I started the day with breakfast and a walk on a short path near the hotel. Sherri slept in. Cloudy and the temps were cool but pleasent.
The path was nearly overrun with blackberry bushes. The were loaded with berrys. I sampled a few, dozen. They were really good.
Sherri and I drove into Exeter around 10:00 am. Being the last day of summer vacation, the city centre was crowded with last minute back to school shoppers. We scored a parking spot and walked into middle of town.
Sherri shopped and I walked the streets seeing the sights. Like London Exeter was bombed in world war 2. There was a small memorial of a bombed out building. It was being used as an inn during the war when it was hit by a bomb.
Mid-afternoon we made contact with David and Trish. We made plans to meet at their cottage then go out for dinner. We made a quick stop at the hotel then headed off. 11 miles of single track and narrow roads brought us to their village.
David and Trish live in a small village on the ocean. Their cottage is was built in 1850, modernized and expanded without taking away from the charming cottage feel. David took us to their neighbors garden so we could hear and see the ocean.
Sherri went back to the cottage to visit with Trish while David and I walked down to the ocean. Since we walked that far, why not walk a little farther into town. That took us right by the local pub. We stopped in for a half pint of Proper Job ale.
We had a wonderful dinner and visit with David and Trish. They were a bit under the weather so we called it an evening and Sherri and I retraced our steps back to our hotel. This time in the dark.
Glad you've gotten to keep in touch with your friends.
ReplyDeleteThey are such a nice couple.
DeleteYou have a wonderful way with words, Eric! :-)
DeleteIt was really good to see you too.