Thursday 9/7 Imperial War Museum, Shopping spree at Harrods
One thing I have always wanted to do is visit the Imperial War Museum. One trip it was closed for renovations and the next time didn't allow. This trip we set aside a day to visit the museum. We purchased an Oyster card. This card allows you to ride London's transit system with a just a tap on one of the sensors. When it runs out of money, you simply top it up at one of the many kiosks.
We road the DLR (elevated train) to a tube station, transferred to the tube to complete our journey to the museum. On our way, we stopped for lunch at the prince of Wales pub. The food was good and filling. The museum was a short walk and best of all, free!
The ww1 exhibit was by far the most extensive with impressive artifacts on display. Surprisingly the ww11 section was a bit meager in comparison. I suppose the fact that ww11 was so mechanized, it would be difficult to fit all the tanks, planes and cannons into the small spaces.
They also had a hollocost level that was very well done. Not as extensive as the one in Washington, but well presented. I spent a lot of time in this section whatching recorded eye witness accounts of concentrate camp survivors. I am so glad that someone had the foresight to record these accounts in the 70s and 80s before they are all gone.
After our museum fix, we decided to head to China Town for dinner. On the way, we spent some time in Piccadilly Circus.
We picked a restaurant and sat down to order. Ordering can be a process when at a authentic Chinese restaurant. The server telling us what we can and cant have. It took a little while to order then get our food. I noticed the table on either side of us were seated with Chinese people. I didn't see them order or even address the server. Within 5 minutes of sitting, they had complete meals sitting in front of them.
Our food was very tasty.
During dinner I asked Sherri if she would like to see Harrods. Of course she would. A short tube ride and we were there.
What an amazing place. Clothing departments were divided by brand. Each little area was like a store within a store. They actually had staff to help with shopping. You don't find that in the state anymore.
I found a rain coat that I really liked which was two hundred pounds. A little high but I thought well worth the price. The clerk went to retrieve my size. While she was gone, Sherri pointed out that the two hundred pound price was for the shirt under the coat. The coat was over a thousand pounds. We made a run for it.
If you didn't already know, Dodi Fayed's father owns Harrods. Dodi was killed in the car crash that also took Princess Diana's life. Dodi's father placed this memorial in the store.
Comments
Post a Comment